So let’s break down my big board…. I’m going to sort them by position and then place a ‘projected round’ grade…. I’m not going to do kickers or punters, cause… well who cares. Today lets go with the Safeties!
Overall a weak safety class, but some solid prospects who could emerge as a solid NFL starter. Barron is the one most people are high on because he comes from Alabama and Saban’s complex defense.
1. Mark Barron – SS – Alabama (1st – 2nd) – I’m not as high on him as many other, he seams to be injured to often. I think he’s a second round pick, but he’ll go in the first.
2. Harrison Smith – SS – Notre Dame (1st – 2nd) – He’s flying up my board, I love the fact he can tackle in the open field… and the combine showed he’s more athletic than I thought.
3. Markelle Martin – SS – Oklahoma State (2nd) – A pretty solid player, whom I’d like to see pull down more INTs. I don’t see elite, but looks very good.
4. Trumaine Johnson – FS – Montana (3rd-4th) – Some think he’s a corner, but I see a safety…. could be a ball hawk.
5. Antonio Allen – SS – South Carolina (3rd-4th) – Vanished at the combine…. but a SEC tough safety he’s also rising on the draft boards.